Saturday, March 10, 2012

Meditations on Black and Draped





images via totokaelo



During all of my style identity crises and wardrobe overhauls, black and draped pieces have always stuck, always stayed true. I always felt comfortable in black, and I think this originates in my flirtation with the "other side", with darkness, with soul, with depth. I am invested in the power that lies there. I always wanted to be a sorcerer or a seer, magical, intuitive, a holder of the keys to life's secrets. Those desires remain, and I think they are somehow translated by this personal wardrobe essential. It's almost as if the mystical and unseen are hiding in the folds. If it makes me feel like I hold a great secret, it is a garment for me. 

My most loved and long-treasured wardrobe pieces speak to this essential truth of my person. I make the best wardrobe decisions when I follow it. 

Wardrobe Building Rule #1: Don't doubt that which is black, flowing and comfortable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment