Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hello

image via polyvore

Here I am, in what is hopefully to be a map of consumption--what I choose to put into my life and how I choose those items. It seems base. But I hope this map will not only come to show what it is I want and have, but the meaning of the desire behind those acquisitions, too.

Desire has become a strong word for me through my struggle to know myself. I've always had challenges with consumption, whether if be of food, clothing, dubious substances, video games, sex, friendships... I've been learning to temper my behaviour surrounding these desires. My attitude has changed, but the challenge remains.

I strive for quality at a price that makes me comfortable. I try to respect the images of those things which I desire. I see the interplay between one's view of items and one's view of the self... There is so much to think about. How, then, to consume?

All this reminds me of some wisdom from a favourite author of mine:

From Henry Miller's, The World of Sex: "For some sex leads to sainthood; for others it is the road to hell. In this respect it is like everything else in life--a person, a thing, an event, a relationship. All depends on one's point of view. To make life more beautiful, more deep and satisfying, we must gaze with fresh, clear vision upon every contributing element of life. If there is something wrong about our attitude toward sex then there is something wrong about our attitude toward bread, toward money, toward work, toward play, toward everything..."

No comments:

Post a Comment