Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tom Waits

Welcome to my first post that will not be on the subject of fashion. This time, I am meditating on music and voice, a subject I am entirely removed from knowing anything about. Still, I have my opinions...

Here is one thing I do know, however: for me, some of the most comforting music is the work of Tom Waits. His voice is so earthy and grounding. When I listen to so many of his songs, I feel like I am receiving a warm embrace from a best friend. Sure, the subject matter of many of his songs are gritty, disturbing even, but there is some spirit of wisdom and genuine connection with the dark manifestations of life conveyed in Waits' vocals that, for me (again), is incredibly comforting. At the same time, it is incredibly provocative, pulling that realness out of you, daring you to get out of your head and have an honest look at life on this earth. I feel so human when I listen to Waits, like a little animal in the mud just trying to get through life.

Look at this guy. I'm pretty sure he is the coolest person on the planet.


When I am feeling down, there are two voices I can listen to to make me feel better:

-Tom Waits'
-Carl Sagan's

Enough of this silly attempt to explain. Below are the two songs that sum up these feelings for me perfectly:

Hold On



Dirt In The Ground

No comments:

Post a Comment